Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows today. I wanted to read it slowly to savour the final installment, but I got worried about spoilers so I read it really quickly on Saturday and Sunday. I enjoyed the book, but I was disappointed in the epilogue. I wish J.K. Rowling had ended the boook with Harry, Hermione and Ron in Dumbledore's office. I preferred it when their futures were left up to the reader's imagination as opposed to explained in the epilogue. I imagine that she wrote the epilogue to end the possibility of another installment of the Harry Potter books. She has been firm about not writing more books, and the inclusion of the epilogue really finishes the story.

The Harry Potter books have been a wonderful gift to me and to readers around the world. J.K. Rowling is a masterful writer and she has the ability to tranport the reader right into the wizarding world. When you are reading the books, you are in the places that she is describing, you are experiencing all the emotions and adventures right along with the characters. I have not read any other author with such an impressive ability to create and sustain another world. I am so glad that I've read all of the books.

No comments: